I have deep experience helping business leaders assess their organizations, chart a bold direction and create plans to achieve their goals. Below is a representative sample of past engagements, publications and professional experience.
- Coached the President of a Fortune 500 military defense firm through a developmental plan to prepare him for promotion to a higher level of responsibility.
- Coached the Chief Operating Officer of a large hospital to develop her newly created executive team and create a strategic plan for the organization.
- Coached a new Managing Partner of a Fortune 300 financial services company to meet financial and personal goals within 90 days of promotion to the role.
- Coached the Chief Assistant General Counsel of a major California utility to refine his leadership skills, deepen his executive presence, and prepare for potential career advancement.
- Coached the Chief Nursing Officer at a major hospital to articulate her vision and become a strong vocal advocate for nursing in the organization.
- Coached the President of a regional mortgage bank to build interpersonal skills, create positive relationships and prevent loss of key personnel.
- Coached a Global Research Director for a Fortune 500 food products company to improve his personnel management and time management skills.
- Coached the Director of Charter Schools for the California Department of Education to enhance her leadership skills, develop political savvy, and gain clarity on personal and professional goals.
- Coached the State Architect of California, a high – ranking political appointee, to improve communication with his leadership team by improving his emotional intelligence and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Coached the Director of Food Services at a small community hospital to improve management skills, repair peer relationships, increase employee morale and decrease staff attrition by 60%.
- Coached Director of Emergency Room to develop emotional intelligence and leadership skills and create tighter cohesion within his management team.
- Coached a Director of Perioperative Services to improve the performance of her direct report, manager of an Ambulatory Surgery Center.
- Coached the manager of an Inpatient Pharmacy department to improve her management and delegation skills and prepare her for promotion to position of Director.
Retreats and Group Facilitation
- Designed and facilitated small group sessions at annual planning retreats for the Judicial Council of California; facilitated judges, justices and court executives through conversations on how to demonstrate leadership in the implementation of strategic goals.
- Designed and facilitated executive team’s strategic management process for Kaiser Permanente Sacramento Medical Center’s change to high-performing culture. Facilitated a series of multi-day offsites over a two year period in which the executive team developed values/vision statement, performed SWOT analysis, prioritized annual objectives, selected performance measures and implemented workplans to accomplish objectives.
- Consulted with Dean of McGeorge School of Law, administrative executives and senior law school faculty to design and facilitate strategic planning offsites to evaluate, select and implement strategic options and programmatic changes.
- Designed and facilitated a one day retreat for Kaiser Permanente, National Patient Care Services. Nurse executives and quality leaders from across the country gathered to finalize the Kaiser Permanente Professional Practice Model for Nursing.
- Designed and facilitated management offsite for Sutter Medical Foundation, North Bay. Designed a meeting process for analyzing gaps between strategic objectives of the foundation and the operational plans of lower divisions. Facilitated all day sessions to review and prioritize existing projects. Resulted in final decisions that prioritized 10 major projects from a list of over 60.
- Designed and facilitated annual planning retreats for the State Contractors License Board. Interviewed Board members and executive staff to determine topics for retreat design; facilitated discussion of strategic priorities during recurring budget cuts.
- In conjunction with Unleashing Leaders, designed and facilitated meetings for Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development. Assisted OSHPD in prioritizing recommendations for implementing the Affordable Care Act through meetings of the Health Workforce Development Council. Resulted in prioritized list of recommendations from over 125 suggested strategies.
- Designed and facilitated sessions to develop Statement of Values for Investments Office, California State Teachers Retirement System. Three month process resulted in a clear values statement that is used personally by the Chief Investment Officer to orient new employees.
- Designed and delivered ten-day leadership development training for California State Teachers Retirement System based on Kouzes’ and Posner’s Leadership Challenge material; included 360 degree instruments and feedback sessions for over 100 managers.
- Faculty member and development coach for the California Health and Human Services Agency, Leadership Development Academy; courses included “Emotional Intelligence” and “Influencing People.”
- Faculty member for City University and City Management Institute, City of Sacramento; courses included “Interpersonal Effectiveness,” “Managing Conflicts Constructively,” and “Mediation and Interdepartmental Conflict.”
- Faculty member for California Department of Education, Leadership Through Communication Program; taught the foundational course for this series, “The Role of the Manager as Leader.”
- Designed and delivered one day leadership development course for California Department of Public Health on vision, values and ethics.
- Designed and delivered training to non-academic professional staff at the University of California, Davis; trained 100+ participants in 1-day courses on Communication, Change Management, and Illegal Discrimination.
- Faculty Member for UC Extension; taught courses on Interpersonal Skills, Spirituality in the Workplace, and Interpersonal Trust for staff enrolled in certificate programs.
- Taught courses in Creativity, Time Management and Communication for staff of Eskaton Senior Residences and Services.
- 2009 Pfeiffer Annual, Consulting, “What’s Important? Creating a Team Assessment.”
- 2007 Pfeiffer Annual, Training, “The Serendipity Bowl: Gaining Insight About Oneself.”
- 2006 Pfeiffer Annual, Training, “Word Cards for Reinforcing Learning.”
- 2005 Pfeiffer Annual, Training, “Planning for Implementation.”
- ASTD Training and Performance Sourcebook, 2004, “Did the Desired Learning Occur? Targeted Learning Worksheets.”
- 2004 Pfeiffer Annual, Consulting, “The Four Questions for Managing Change.”
- 2003 Pfeiffer Annual, Training, “When I Manage, When I Lead.”
- 2002 Pfeiffer Annual, Consulting, “Me in a Bag: Icebreaker for Intact Work Teams.”
- 2000 Pfeiffer Annual, Training, “Benefits and Barriers: Training for Learning Transfer.”
- McGraw-Hill Training and Performance Sourcebook, 1999, Conscious Awareness as a Tool for Peak Performance.”
- Spirit at Work, University of New Haven, 1998, “Why a Personal Mission Statement?”
- 1998 Pfeiffer Annual, Training, “Scope of Control Diagram for Problem Solving.”
Professional Speaking Engagements
- International Coach Federation, Sacramento Chapter, September 13, 2016, “Using Spiritual Intelligence to Increase Your Coaching Capacity.”
- California State University Sacramento, EMBA Program, August 1, 2015, “Spiritual Intelligence in Leadership.”
- Association for Talent Development, Sacramento Chapter, May 15, 2015, “Spiritual Intelligence: The Leadership Skills Beyond Emotional Intelligence.”
- SQ21 Spiritual Intelligence Coaches Conference, October 18, 2013, presentation on research project, “The Spiritual Development at Work Survey.”
- Integral Sacramento Monthly Salon, July 20, 2012, “Spiritual Intelligence – Skills for Managing Complexity.”
- California Dietetic Association, Opening Speaker for 2010 Annual Conference, April 14, 2010, “Taking Charge of Change.”
- California State University Sacramento, MBA Program, Seminar in Organization Development, March 18, 2009, “The Consultant as Change Agent.”
- Kaiser Permanente, North Valley, Annual Perioperative Potpourri, October 28, 2006, “Managing Overload in Turbulent Times: Who Cares for the Caregiver?”
- Sacramento Area Organization Development Network, November 19, 2004, “Spirituality in the Workplace.”
- Department of Personnel Administration, 5th Annual Training Conference, May 29, 2002, “How to Create a Leadership Development Program in State Government.”
- Executive Leadership Forum, Department of Information Technology, May 24, 2001, “Sustaining Change through People.”
- Department of Personnel Administration, 4th Annual Training Conference, February 27, 2001, “Change Management at the California State Teachers’ Retirement System.”